Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Problems and Remedies

Funny. The way we settle into things at the same time. Lately I've been working so much and had little time to settle into the program. This past week my requested books arrived at the library and I've been slowly reading them. Knitting other things in the meantime. But last night, and this morning, I AM ribbing.

Never have I looked at my knitting so closely. Am I repeating myself?

Casting On

Problem: So many to choose from.
Remedy: The Long-Tail cast on is my favourite at this point. *must remember to find a reference for answering questions at the end.

Ribbing


Problem: My first stitch is always wonky.
Remedy: Purl the last stitch wrapping the yarn from the left instead of between the needles, shortening the yarn. Then at the Knit stitch, knit through the back loop. *must remember to find reference for bibliography.

Problem: The left Knit stitch in each column is fatter than the right.
Remedy: Use the tips of the needles. Pulling the bead closer to the fabric each wrap, be it a Purl Stitch or a Knit Stitch. [I remember you giving me this advice years ago... foundation learning!] *may I cite my older sister?

Increasing

Problem: Still working on finding the one I like the best.
Remedy: Keep on reading and experimenting.

Instructions

Problem: I just realized last night that the first swatch is to be knit in Garter Stitch!
Remedy: It might take me awhile to listen to what I'm reading. Patience Laura. Patience.

2 comments:

  1. Terrific post, lots to think about, like your analysis. Don't know about your solution for first stitch in the ribbing, ie. knit from behind, that does tighten things, but it does rank as a "special treatment" in the selvedge. No, no, no. It's a tension issue, so tighten up, knit with the tips and hope like hell that it all sorts itself out when you wash and block the swatch. Truly, this does hide or smooth out a multitude of unevennesses. Is that even a word? You know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That edge remedy I found in "Tension Problems", by Arenda Holladay. And can be found on the TKGA site, under Article Archives. Not an easy site to navigate.
    As I look a that article again, I have to re-read it a few more times.

    ReplyDelete