Sunday, January 18, 2009

Laura's pattern for #15


Here it is all knitted up. It's a pretty pattern and fun to do and I had no difficulty at all with the instructions. So well done. I tied up all the loose ends, after doing 16 swatches, it's second nature now, and blocked it. Notice a newer, smarter approach in the first photo, I blocked it upside down so I could get the curling selvedges to really lay flat. I also learned that the cable cast on is the perfect one for these swatches, so I am no longer finished mine!! I have three cable swatches to re-do. Alas, that's the problem with perfection, the job is just never done.
The only thing I think you need to consider is WHEN you do on the bind off row. In our instructions it says the finished swatch has to be no less than 4" and no longer than 4.5". I ended it when it was exactly 4" which ended up being row 3. However, the effect is not correct. Row 3 is the first cable row of the pattern and the eye expects the cable to start moving inwards. So I would recommend casting off in a row 1 or 2. Which means you have to do three cycles of the pattern, and hope that it doesn't measure more than 4.5". There's a lot of fudging that you can do in the blocking phase, stretching, shaping making sure things are the right length. So give that a try.


1 comment:

  1. Wow! You did a super job. Thanks so much.

    I have considered the length being an issue but thought I would lengthen it during blocking.

    You are a super cable knitter, look at those columns! Beautiful work. I'm glad you like the cable cast on, but sorry you have to re-knit your pieces.

    But that's what happens, you think, "is this my best work?" and cast on. It would be horrible to have your swatches returned and asked to re-knit them. Or would it be horrible? Is it that bad? I'm sure it'll be fine. Now, I worry about my selvage. Ack!

    Thank you again for being the best test knitter around! and for the tip to block right side down. Hhmn...

    ReplyDelete