Monday, November 17, 2008

Back to the drawing board


I gave up on the 3.5mm needles. The fabric being produced was too dense. So I moved to 4.5 aluminum needles that work so much better with this yarn. Also, in this swatch, unlike all the others I have attempted so far, I slipped the first stitch of each row knitwise to get a smooth edge.

I also tried to get the purl increases to happen on the right side of the work, a tricky feat for when you are working with 4.5 needles, one row makes a difference in terms of length. But I lucked out. So the purl increases are done in the last row of the ribbing, allowing for the first garter row to happen on the wrong side of the fabric. When this happens the first garter row that shows on the right side is the bumps, and that makes a nice border between the ribbing and the garter rows. Now a few more rows to get to 4 inches and this one is done.

Not bad for an entire day of knitting and thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment