Saturday, November 15, 2008

My Yarn

On my way to work last Tuesday morning, I stopped into Wabi-Sabi, my local yarn store (LYS) to browse. Browsing is rather unsatisfying when you don't have a goal in mind. But my mind is on our Master Knitting Level 1 program and searching for a yarn for my samples is my goal.

Carol, the owner, welcomed me and I shared with her my secret. What a wonderful feeling to share a secret with someone who appreciates it! Her Mission Falls - 1824 Wool yarn in many beautiful, greyish toned colours, did not include Natural. When I mentioned this she told me she could order it in, but who wants to wait? I've selected Oatmeal for my colour to knit my samples in and only purchased one ball of yarn to begin with.

Here it is, and I began my first sample, ripped it out, began again, ripped it out because I can't remember how I increased, and I'll be ripping this one out too for the very same reasons.

It has come to my attention, that I would like to dedicate an hour each evening, in my studio, concentrating on my knitting.

How are you going about it?

I'd really like to do what Discoknits did. Knit the first three, send them off. I would like to knit the entire lot to find out something I take so for granted is messed up and I'd have to redo them. I like to learn as you go.

p.s. my package arrived the same day as you, how anti-climactic it was to receive it! $10 for the instructions and the postage was 96 cents to ship to Canada. Bitch Bitch Bitch. Today: I Bitch

3 comments:

  1. OMG - I chose the same yarn, different colour, but the same Mission Falls 1842 100% Merino. What size needles are you using? I decided to try 3.5mm to get a denser swatch. Will knit one up and post it. What kind of a cast on are you using?
    I feel so insecure -- can't believe I've been knitting for nearly my whole life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm surprised we chose the same yarn and I'm not surprised because we share such great taste! Which colour did you choose?
    I'm using 4.5mm needles, even though the Mission Falls suggest 5mm.
    Currently I'm using a new C/O for myself: the German Twist C/O, it is similar to the Longtail, but there's a twist in it. But, so far I'm finding the Longtail C/O better because it has the effect of purl on one side, knit on the other and it will stretch with the ribbing.
    Which type of increase are you using?
    Don't worry about the insecurities, they will pass. You have been knitting for a very long time and you've knit beautiful items! Remember to B R E A T H E .

    ReplyDelete