Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Two swatches and 14 more to go


"Selvedges: Swatches are to be knit in the pattern stitch indicated without additional borders or selvedge edges." -- I've read this a couple of times as well and don't know how to interpret this.

I know in some knitting guilds when they make swatches they have selvage borders, moss stitch or some other thing to differentiate the knitting inside the frame. I will send a quick email to TKGA and ask this question.
You are right on the mark about gauge, it doesn't matter, what matters is that you can figure it out.

I am a bit concerned about this yarn, on two counts. One, it seems loosely spun and thus every once in a while I have these loose pieces where I don't evenly grab the yarn and a wee bit sticks out. I rip out, go back to the offending stitch and do it all over again.

Second concern is the cost. I have made two swatches, and onto the moss stitch one and think I will have just enough to finish that one. That's three swatches for one $6.50 ball. Yikes.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I've noticed that too, that the yardage is not great for the price. Hey, at least it's Canadian. What makes a good quality yarn? In the three swatches I've knit (1, 2, and 1 again) I've come across at least three areas where the yarn bits are roughly bound together.

    As for the instructions, let me know what TKGA says.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just emailed TKGA and copied you on it. I have a crazy week, the week before holidays, so won't have much time for knitting. Talk soon,

    ReplyDelete